Friday, May 29, 2009

Prayer to St. Louis IX

By the Lord High Constable Du Gueschlin
Keep me pure like the lily of your blazon.
You who kept your word even to an infidel,
never allow a lie to pass my lips
even if frankness cost me my life.
Man of prowess, not given to retreat,
cut my bridges to dissimulation
and lead me always to the thickest of the fight.

Lord High Constable Du Gueschlin was known as the most chivalrous knight of his age. He was a national French hero, an outstanding military leader during the early part of the Hundred Years War (1337–1453). He attained the highest military position as constable of France in 1370. He brilliantly used the strategy of avoiding set battles with the English until the French had sufficient advantage to defeat them soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment